Saturday 17 November 2007

Optimism fading


Melbourne Victory at Suncorp Stadium

After last night's performance I, a well known football optimist, am starting to think this season will not be ending in the last weeks of February as it did last season, but sometime in late January. After the last two weeks where from my point of view the team looked to be turning it around, they put in one of the most ordinary performances of the season so far in what was rightly billed as a crunch game for the boys in navy blue. I am starting to have flashbacks to the first season where we had four games in a row at home and failed to score a single goal. Thoroughly depressing stuff that was, and I am loathed to return to those memories.

I went down to the Charles Dickens Tavern to watch the game and enjoyed the atmosphere along with the extra space that wasn't available last time I was there. Along with the game being on the big screen I was also getting constant updates via my phone from a Queensland Roar fan who was at the game.

Positives, there weren't too many apart from the keeping of Theoklitos, whose heroics kept the deficit to only one. Thompson should also get a mention, worked hard all night and wasn't get much support and put in that great ball that Allsopp somehow managed to put over the cross bar from a couple of metres. We really missed the presence of Muscat in the midfield and were completely dominated in this department. Muscat's replacement, Pantelidis simply doesn't have the passing range of Muscat. The defensive third wasn't that bad but were under constant pressure as the midfield failed to control the ball for long periods of time. Negatives, too many to mention but all should come under the heading of the way we play the game which has been gone into more detail here.

Is it time for Mr Merrick to depart the scene. He seems to be starved of any new ideas at the moment and seems to relying on the same old formula that is no longer working. But is it wise to remove a coach with only eight games remaining in the season. If we want to see some action in February we may very well have to, but I doubt our board has the guts to make this decision. And who would make a good replacement? Maybe we could go Argentinian, both Daniel Passarella and Ricardo La Volpe are now looking for work after resigning from their current positions.

I am now off to sit down and watch the Olyroos take on Iraq and enjoy some of our young Australian football players in action. I already know the score as I couldn't help myself so I will enjoy it even more. I may even write a report on it.

Finally, thanks also to fellow blogger and Queensland Roar fan Hamish, for his lovely and insightful text message after the game.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

"...thanks also to fellow blogger and Queensland Roar fan Hamish, for his lovely and insightful text message after the game"

Um... I suspect sarcasm there Neil - After five beers and an overdose of delight, I don't think I was all that sympathetic. So I won't say, "No worries mate," but rather apologies. Respect.

On a few fronts I empathise.

"... Flashbacks to the first season where we had four games in a row at home." Know how you feel - Roar fans have so been there.

"Thompson should also get a mention, worked hard all night and wasn't get much support and put in that great ball that Allsopp somehow managed to put over the cross bar from a couple of metres."

Reminds me of the frustrations of Roar fans with Reinaldo when he'd get great balls and fluff them, even when we had the likes of Matty and Seo being consistently brilliant, but due to the lack of goals going virtually unnoticed.

The swings and roundabouts of life I guess, and I have no doubt the Victory fans - and now you'll find out who the real ones are - will have times of joy again. Starting next week or next year? Who knows.

Meanwhile, the Ollyroos and Socceroos have delivered the joy to both of us.

Peace.

18 November 2007 at 09:45  
Blogger Neil said...

No apologies necessary for the text message. I would have probably done the same if our roles had been reversed. For me, half the fun of supporting a team is being able to rib opposition supporters (in good nature of course)and getting a response. Its more fun doing it at the game sitting side by side or at opposing ends but because the nature of our competition at the moment, I guess text and phone messages will have to do for the moment.

18 November 2007 at 11:50  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home