Tuesday 25 March 2008

Word of the day: Impressive

impressive adj. capable of impressing, esp. by size, magnificence, etc.; awe-inspiring; commanding

I made my way down to Bob Jane Stadium yesterday to take in the clash between South Melbourne and the AIS and put it simply I was impressed. Impressed by the AIS and their quality of their play. Impressed by a team that wasn't intimidated by a much physically stronger and more experienced team and even took it up to their opponents. For the record the AIS team picked up a 2-0 victory, which put them in second place on the VPL table only a point behind leaders Oakleigh and with a game in hand.

Players that impressed me were Jason Naidovski, scorer of both goals and leading scorer in the VPL with 8 goals to his name; Matthew Theodore, who controlled the AIS midfield and almost got on the score sheet himself; and Luke Devere in the centre of defence, who was rarely beaten and marshalled his defence well. I am looking forward to seeing these players on a more regular basis as I am sure most of this team will be picked for either A-League youth squads or their senior squads.

To read my report on the match, click here, where I impressed myself by not using the word impressive as much as I thought I would. And as bonus you can hear me talk about the game by listening to Eamonn's Nearpost Radio Show here.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

great stuff neill, look forward to more of your VPL thoughts and writing...certainly look forward to seeing Naidovski - what are his technical attributes?

well done, keep it up and go the Socceroos

25 March 2008 at 21:57  
Blogger Neil said...

TRBA,

In answer to your question for me Naidovski created a real presence in the AIS forward line. Was good on the ball as were most of the AIS team and was rarely knocked off it. Also a very good finisher. His second goal yesterday was a long range pearler. He reminded me a little of a young Mark Viduka. Apparently he already trains with SydneyFC (being from that part of the world) and is likely to snapped up by them.

25 March 2008 at 22:14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home