Saturday 12 January 2008

All to no avail

Northern terrace thanks Archie

Last night both myself and my fellow supporters finally got to see the Melbourne Victory play football the way we had wanted them to play all season. Well, expect for me couple of people who were sitting to my front and rear who find reason to criticise at every opportunity. Goals to Hernandez, Ward and Patafta saw the Victory record a 3-0 win over the Wellington Phoenix. For the first time since mid-October the Victory theme song rang out around the Telstra Dome. The win kept us in finals contention for at least another 24 hours until unfortunately the Jets beat the Mariners and ended our chances.

Last night I also got my wish from last week in seeing both Ward and Hernandez start on the pitch together, although Carlos was playing in a much more forward role due to the absences of Allsopp through a virus. The combination worked well and complimented each other effectively. This combination bodes well for our ACL campaign.

Special mention should go to Sebastian Ryall, who at only 18 years of age is making a name for himself in the Victory defence. Time and time again he made crucial tackles and never looked panicked. As the weeks go by he is looking more and more comfortable on the ball. Playing in a backline that has both Muscat and Vargas in it has probably helped his development.


Kaz Patafta has been one of my favourites for the year almost to the point of stalking and it looks like my fellow supporters are also becoming fans as a huge roar erupted around the stadium when he came on as substitute in the 75th minute. He responded in kind with his first goal for the club and our third for the night, a well taken goal from a tight angle after Thompson scuffed a shot. I don't think I would get any disagreement by saying that he has been under utilised throughout the season and Merrick and his coaching staff have to take some blame for that. Its unlikely that he will stay beyond his loan period but I will probably maintain my "stalking" although from a much greater distance.It looks like our good run of form came to nothing and we only have ourselves to blame, our style of football for the majority of the season has been poor and we didn't really deserve a position in the finals. I am off to Sydney next week for our final game of the season and my first away game where I sit/stand in the "away" end. I am looking forward to it even though there is nothing to play for. But I hope the boys put one last final effort and stop those boys in baby blue from taking out the minor premiership.


Bottom image "borrowed" from The Age.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Condolences Neil, and other Victory fans. Great to see a glorious, stylish finish to the campaign nevertheless (please keep it going next week). We'll all be behind you in the ACL.

13 January 2008 at 09:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wether the boys put the last final effort or not (and I think they will), the Away End certainly will.

If Victory was still a chance to get to the finals there would have Being a MASSIVE travelling support, as it is, it will still be very big IMO

We will win the ACL.

13 January 2008 at 22:32  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home