Tuesday 1 January 2008

Victory makes for easy listening

Being not able to get myself in front of a TV due to New Year's Eve commitments I had to resort to listening to old friends, Zappers and Trimmers on SEN for my Victory versus Mariners football coverage. Listening to the game makes any objective comments about the game quite difficult as the boys from SEN aren't what you would call impartial.

From what I heard it sounded like we finally put in a performance that is worth talking about and the 5-2 scoreline surely points to that. The result certainly put me in a good mood for the remainder of the night about until we had to try find a way home from the CBD. Nick Ward made his full debut for the squad and by all accounts his hard running in the midfield had a significant impact. Good performances were also put in by regular performers, Thompson and Theoklitos.

The win has huge ramifications within the A-League and mathematically we are still are chance to make the finals. The proviso on this is that we have to win our last three games and hope results go our way in the other matches. Maybe I was a little premature with my performing of the last rites on our season. Our win would have certainly pleased the guys (one Roar Fan and two SydneyFC fans) with whom I watched Sunday night's Perth Glory/Queensland Roar match as it put the Roar on top of the ladder for the start of the new year and gives Sydney still hope of taking out the minor premiership. Wellington's win over the Jets also keeps them in with a chance of finals. The new year will make for an interesting one in terms of the final weeks of the A-League season.

Speaking of the next three weeks, they will be extremely hectic for myself as I will be taking in all three remaining Victory games live, including two away trips, one to Brisbane and the other to Sydney. Slotted in between them will be our last home game against Wellington Phoenix. I am looking forward to the away trips, in particular the Sydney one as I have never done this trip and it will be my first time in the "away" end. So northern states, you have been warned, Victory In Melbourne is heading your way looking for some wins and a finals charge. Optimism may be returning, the next three weeks will tell.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three tough games to go but if Victory can repeat their performance on Monday against the CCM then anything is possible. I hope you will enjoy watching these three remaining fixtures.

2 January 2008 at 07:29  
Blogger Vincent Kearns said...

Still in with a chance, albeit remote... I am back in Melbourne for a couple of weeks from Sweden so hope I bring the boys some luck (although I haven't been here since our first season so maybe I should stay away!)

By the way, I added a link to your blog on mine.

4 January 2008 at 00:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home